Hi. I'm Maximilian Wiesner.
I'm a M.Sc. Student of Linguistics at the University of Potsdam. Currently, I investigate sharing constructions in Samoan with a focus on subject sharing and conjunction reduction.
Simultaneously, I'm a PhD student at the chair of and supervised by Doreen Georgi (University of Potsdam). For my thesis, I'm planning on extending my research to a multitude of languages – particularly Austronesian languages with verb-initial or predicate-initial sentence structure. Of particular interest are the strategies and mechanisms that allow for subject sharing and sharing constructions in general. I'm also an associated member of the MGK of the CRC 1287.
My research interests are in syntactic structures of coordinative constructions in Polynesian and, more generally, Austronesian languages. I've worked mainly on Samoan, and will further extend my research. Further I'm interested in the typological distribution of certain constructions and phenomena across languages and sub-families in the group of Austronesian languages. In the past, I have worked on comparative constructions, comparative particles and equative constructions.
Alongside my studies, I'm a board member of and editor for the Student Organization of Linguistics in Europe (SOLE). The SOLE organises an annual conference (ConSOLE) for undergraduate, graduate and PhD students of all linguistic fields. ConSOLE provides a forum for aspiring linguists to present and discuss independent research as well as for meeting and networking with international peers.
Output & Teaching
- upcoming: A different level of coordination: Samoan subject sharing, APLL 15, Palacký University, 23-25.08.2023
- upcoming: Samoan subject sharing: In search of the second subject (pdf), TripleA 10, University of Potsdam, 07.06.2023
- A different level of coordination: Samoan subject sharing (pdf), ConSOLE 31, University of Bielefeld, 23.02.2023
- Introduction to Morphology (B.Sc. Patholinguistics), University of Potsdam, summer term 2023
- Introduction to Syntax (B.Sc. Patholinguistics), University of Potsdam, winter term 2022/23
- Sharing constructions in the Austronesian language family (PhD Thesis, working title)
- (Argument) deletion in Samoan subject sharing constructions
- Sharing constructions in Samoan (Master's Thesis)
- Nominal Patterns in Sinhala (with Jeanne Lecavelier)
- Particle Comparison compared: Evaluating European and non-European languages (B.A. Thesis)